Sauce pot chocolate cake
3 oz baking chocolate
1 c brown sugar (packed) or white sugar.
1 T molasses optional
3 eggs (large)
½ c coffee, water or milk
2 T butter
2 t vanilla extract
2 c cake flour (soft as silk brand is good)
2 t cream of tartar
¾ c milk
1 t baking soda dissolved in ¼ c of warm water
Prepare a 13x9 inch cake pan
Place oven rack to the center.
- Melt chocolate, sugar, coffee in a 3 qt saucepan.
- Beat eggs and add chocolate mixture. Return to heat and cook until it is like a custard sauce. Continually stir and watch carefully.
- Remove pan from heat, stir in butter and vanilla and let cool. I put the pan in a larger pan of cold water. It can take 30 min or more to cool with out water bath.
- Once chocolate is cool, heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix flour, cream of tartar and milk (¾ c) into the chocolate and beat until smooth.
- When the oven is ready, pour the baking soda water into the batter and stir. You'll see bubbles and it will get lighter and increase in volume. Use a spatula to make sure all the batter is mixed through.
- Pour batter in pan and bake on the middle rack for about 40 minutes.
Sent from the Barley Field.